I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award! I have to admit, when I first started blogging in February, I had never even heard of the Liebster Award. I also have to admit, when I was first nominated, I had never heard of the Liebster Award. But after being a part of a wonderful community like this blogging world has opened my eyes to so many great things!
I started blogging because I had something to say. I wasn’t sure anyone would find it particularly interesting or useful, but I didn’t want that to discourage me! As a learning support teacher, I often find myself just on the edge of my grade level team. I teach ELA and math, so much of what I do is relevant to our team discussions. But teaching a classroom full of students with special needs is unquestionably different than regular education. I have consistently reached out for a support system beyond my own grade level team, and even beyond my school faculty. I yearned for a network of supportive colleagues who understand what I do every day in my classroom. I couldn’t seem to find what I was looking for through regular channels, so I decided to create what I needed through my blog.
Since then, I have been invited to become a part of a strong network of teachers, both regular education and special education, where I feel welcome and supported. It has been a fantastic journey for me so far, and I look forward to many more great adventures along the way!
Here are the Liebster Award rules:
The Liebster Award is an award that helps us all discover new blogs that we enjoy. This award is given to upcoming bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers (check!). These are the guidelines to follow for this award:
1. Thank the Liebster-winning blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
2. Post eleven facts about yourself.
3. Answer the eleven questions your nominator asked.
4. Create eleven questions for your nominees.
5. Nominate eleven blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen.
6. Display the Liebster Award logo.
Thank you, Jess Durrett! Her blog, Down the Road, serves her mission of “empowering a child to use his or her strengths to overcome challenges.” What an honor this nomination is, especially from someone who works in the same field! I wish it hadn’t taken me this long to post my facts, questions and nominations, but better late than never!
My eleven facts:
- I went back to complete my bachelor degree in elementary and special education when my daughters were in elementary school.
- As a kid I thought I would become an art teacher.
- I’ve often wondered whether I would enjoy working in a field that involves animals (veterinarian, animal-assisted therapist, PetSmart hotel associate…).
- The personal accomplishment I am most proud of is completing my degree.
- I was married at 22 and was 24 when my twin daughters were born.
- Although I would love to visit Europe, I feel that the U.S. has so many wonderful destinations that I’d like to visit first.
- My husband and I own a travel trailer and enjoy spending time there on weekends.
- I have been to Walt Disney World and/or Disneyland a dozen times, and am already planning a return trip after our visit there this past May.
- I spoil my boxer dog and pug.
- I love, love, LOVE reading. Especially on my nook.
- Chocolate. Enough said.
Jess’s eleven questions:
- Where is your favorite place in the world? Why? Aside from home, I truly enjoy Walt Disney World, and feel like I’m home when I’m there. *sigh*
- What’s your favorite app? Why? At this moment (because it changes all the time!): Instagram, because I’m addicted! But I rely on Keeper, a secure way to store important private information. So many passwords to remember!
- What’s the one device you wouldn’t want to be without? My iPhone, no question. I’d be lost without it!
- What are your favorite pizza toppings? Cheese, sauce, cheese, and cheese.
- What’s the most prominent color in your wardrobe? Blue, probably, but not because I like it best, or look particularly great in it. I think it’s a safe color. And besides, jeans are blue!
- Who is your favorite author? Why? I really can’t answer this. I respect so many authors, but because I enjoy a variety of genres, I can’t decide on my favorite author!
- Who was your favorite teacher? Why? There are so many, but I’ll sum them up in one person: Mr. Cow (his real name), my kindergarten teacher. He truly cared about his students, and he made it evident in everything he did. My goal is for my students to know that I care about them.
- Who was your worst teacher? Why? Unfortunately, my first grade teacher, Mrs. Piperno. She had hair as fiery red as her temper. She literally tossed my desk over because I didn’t keep it neat enough for her standards. She’s probably just as influential in my decision to go into teaching as all of my favorite teachers, so I could show students that school doesn’t have to be a scary place!
- Did you (or do you) like school? I wasn’t the best student academically k-12, but I love learning now. Going back to school filled a need I had to discover new things. I want to spark that need in my students.
- Bing or Google? Google. I’m old-school, I guess.
- What book are you reading (or listening to) right now? I’m reading Divergent, and I’m listening to The Christmas List.
My eleven questions:
- What’s one of the scariest things you’ve ever done?
- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Would you recommend your career choice to others? Why or why not?
- If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go?
- Why did you begin blogging?
- Who in your life has influenced you the most, and how?
- Mac or PC?
- Do you like to talk on the phone, or do you prefer texting?
- Are you an introvert or extrovert?
- If you could try out any job for a day, what would it be and why?
And now, for my eleven nominees:
I can’t guarantee that each of these has under 200 followers (some sites don’t post this info that I can tell), but I chose these blogs because I really enjoy and look forward to their posts. I also can’t easily tell whether they’ve already been nominated for the Liebster Award. Either way, you should check them out!
If you’re actually counting, you’ve now discovered I only added ten nominees here. It’s because so many great bloggers are getting the recognition (and followers) they deserve!